Polls
Statistics
Visitors: 1180576
 
Home arrow News arrow Lasallian News arrow Did You Know?
 
Did You Know? Print E-mail
Lasallian schools in the country have gone through much structural changes over the last decades to cater to the expanding student populations while one or two had to be restructured/rebuilt due to bombings during the war years of the 40's. The original structures of some of the schools in the key towns are shown below together with short descriptives.
 

Original Structure of SXI, Penang
The above shows St Xavier’s Institution, Penang - the 1st Catholic school for boys in Malaysia as it appeared in the 1890's with its suggestion of Moorish influence, following extensions completed during the Directorship of Brother James Byrne. The Facade was modified in later years due to problems in maintaining the elaborate ornamentation. Following the war in 1940-43, the building had to be pulled down because it had become unsafe due to bombings. After many years of delay, a new building was put up and opened in 1954. SXI, as it is popularly known, celebrated its 150 anniversary in December 2002 with a series of 'Home-coming' activities and events for her past and present students.
                      
Original structure, SFI Melaka
St. Francis’ Institution, Malacca, the 2nd oldest Lasallian school was founded in 1902. Fr. Nain designed the building in the popular colonial style   which might be aptly described as Greek Revival. The result of his efforts is certainly solid and handsome; two symmetrical Greek pediments, an E shape without the central stroke, with tall pilasters which rise to the full height of the building. SFI commemorated the De La Salle Brothers’ 100 years in Malacca (1902 - 2002) and 150 years in Malaysia (1852 – 2002) by holding a Twin Celebrations Dinner at the school premises on Saturday, 26 October, 2002.
                      

Original structure, SJI Kuala Lumpur
St. John’s Institution was founded in 1904. The designer of the original building appears to have been Brother Vernier Auguste. The brick façade is divided into fifteen bays, separated by pilasters which rise to the full length of the 3-storey building. The central bay is slightly wider than the others, and a loggia was added later. St. John’s Institution celebrated its 100th anniversary with a month-long programme in 2004.

                                     
Orignal structure SPI, Seremban
Founded in 1909. For Seremban, Fr. Nain designed a beautiful palazzo  which would not have been out of place beside the Grand Canal in Venice. Its Gothic arcades and pierced balustrade, at once airy and whimsical, composed a delightful vision to set down in the midst of the tropical vegetation of Negri Sembilan.
                              
Original structure, SMI Ipoh
Founded in 1912. Designed by Brother Vernier Auguste, it was strongly ecclesiastical in feeling, in the Gothic vernacular, simple in its detailing, while the strong horizontal lines were balanced by vertical gabled projections from the main building … One cannot but be impressed by the view of this magnificent building, 177 metres in length. It was completed in stages over a period of some 30 years. During the Japanese occupation, it housed the offices of the Perak State Government.
                             


Original structure, SGI Taiping

The foundation stone was laid in 1914, but completion was delayed because of a slump in the price of rubber. Classes began in January 1915. The building was requisitioned by the authorities during the Japanese Occupation and put to a variety of uses, ending as a hotel for top military officers. In the post-war years because of a rapid rise in enrolment, a separate building was constructed for the primary school.
                                
(Acknowledgement: Lasalle Brothers Malaysia & Singapore 1852 – 1952 by Francis Brown

< Prev   Next >
 
Links | Contact Us | News | Home
 
 
Powered by Three Sixty Technologies